shandoor polo festival
Shandur Polo Festival is a sports festival held annually from 7th to 9th July in Shandur Polo Ground, Ghizer, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. The polo tournament is played between the teams of Gilgit-Baltistan Districts and Chitral District, under freestyle rules. Organized and financed by Gilgit-Baltistan Government.
This fascinating ten-day Shandur polo festival tour offers a unique chance to discover the secluded and gorgeous villages, take part in a distinctive polo festival in Shandur, and get a real sense of what it’s like to travel in Northern Pakistan. You will also see Chitral Valley, Kalash Valley, Shandur Lake, Phandar Valley, Gilgit Baltistan, Naran, and the Karakoram Highway while on the Shandur Polo Festival tour.
- Experience the Shandur polo festival at the highest polo ground on earth
- Visit Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan
- Spectacular mountain view flight to Chitral
- Explore Chitral, Kalash Valley, Shandur Pass, and Gilgit Baltistan
- Watch the final polo match between rival Chitral and Gilgit on the roof of the world
- Stunning wild and remote scenery of Kalash and the Hindukush mountain
- Drive on Karakoram Highway in the Shadow of Nanga Parbat peak.
Shandur polo festival is one of the wildest and oldest polo festivals on earth. This historical event has been taking place at the Shandur polo ground since 1936. Shandur polo ground is at Shandur Pass on the border between Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan. The polo tournament brings the tribe of Gilgit and Chitral together each year for a three-day festival in the first week of July. Spectators from around the world annually gather at Shandur polo ground to witness these rival teams battle for supremacy at the Shandur Polo Festival. The Shandur polo festival tour itinerary will embark from Islamabad to historical Shandur and back to Islamabad via Gilgit.
- Skardu expedition has been organizing Shandur Polo Festival Tour and other adventure holidays in Pakistan for many years. We operate an 8-10 days long Tour to Shandur Festivals. All our holidays in Pakistan are on a full-board basis. You can follow our standard Shandur Polo Festival tour itinerary below, or our travel advisor can customize an itinerary to meet your travel needs and requirements.